In the first of our new series ‘Talking Fragrance With…’ we asked social influencer, Kirsty Merrett, from the hugely engaging Fashion for Lunch blog, all about her fragrance loves…
- What fragrance are you wearing today? Right now, I am wearing Jo Malone Dark Amber and Gingerlily, but earlier this morning I was wearing Alaia Blanche as I was writing about it for my blog. It’s a really beautiful new perfume that smells like cream and almonds!
- And what is your favourite fragrance right now? Oh, this is such a tough question! I change my favourite perfume all the time but as I said, today I am wearing Jo Malone Dark Amber and Gingerlily and oh, I love it!! I have also been loving Byredo Heliotropia, which is really beautiful but I haven’t worn it for a week or so as on cold days I love to wear a fragrance which smells really warm and comforting.
- What is the first fragrance that you bought? I think it was Cacharel Lulu Blue, I literally had no idea what it smelled like or if I even smelt it before I bought it, but it came with a free silver backpack and I loved the bottle and the name, so I begged my parents to get it for me!
- What direction do you think fragrance is moving in right now? Ohhh, I think there are a lot of really exciting clean, translucent fragrances coming out at one end of the spectrum, lots of minimalist fragrances with simple branding, but on the flip side, I think that a lot of rich, classic fragrances are having a resurgence.
- We know what you like in fragrance but are there any fragrance families that you don’t like or that don’t work for you? Ha ha! Tough question again! Scent is such a personal thing, but personally, I tend to avoid anything sickly sweet and overtly sexy. Whenever I smell perfumes like that I always think back to the Mean Girls scene where Janis Ian tells Cady she smells like ‘a baby prostitute’. She really nailed it with that phrase!
- Who is your favourite perfumer? I am a huge fan of Jo Malone London, Frederic Malle, Penhaligon’s and Roja Dove. I also absolutely love the Fornasetti candle collection, I always pray they will turn these into perfumes at some point!
- Where do you usually buy fragrance? Do you have a favourite store? I think it has to be Harrods, I love rich, heavy opulent fragrances which Harrods have in abundance, they also have the best exclusives and they have most new fragrances first!
- Have you ever bought fragrance without smelling it first? Not often, I’m lucky enough to live in London so nearly everything can be found in either Harrods, Liberty or Selfridges! I don’t know what I would do without these three stores!
- How many fragrances do you own? I own an embarrassing amount! I have lots in storage from when I moved house a year ago and I also have many scattered around my house, in my bedroom, dressing room and office… I also share a fair few with my boyfriend too, so I often dip into his collection as well!
- When I smell Aliage by Estee Lauder it reminds me of my mum.
Fashion For Lunch, Frederic Malle, Harrods, Jo Malone, Kirsty Merret, Penhaligon's, Roja Dove, Talking Fragrance With...